CHILLI GARLIC MUD CRAB
30 mins plus 30 mins freezer time
2 large fresh mud crabs
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
4 tbsp lime juice
1tbspof brown sugar
1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
Handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
2 birds eye chilli sliced (optional ) garnish
1. Place the mud crab in the freezer for 30-40 minutes until asleep, then plunge quickly into a large pot of heavily salted boiling water. You may need two pots.
2. Cook mud crabs for 20-25 minutes, then plunge them into a large bowl of iced water. Remove the claws and legs, and crack them gently. Set aside. Remove shell from the crab’s body, then extract the crab meat, placing it in a bowl.
3. Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat. When oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, and chilli paste Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
4. Add the vinegar, lime juice, brown sugar, Thai fish sauce, soy sauce, 1 cup water. Simmer for 2 minutes to infuse flavours before adding the loose crab meat and the crab claws/legs. Cook for a further 6-8 minutes, tossing often.
5. Transfer to two serving bowls garnish with coriander and optional chilli, and serve with a salad or rice.