BRAISED GINGER AND GARLIC BEEF WITH RICE
500g beef chuck steak, cut into large chunks (about 5cm x 4cm)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium brown onion, cut into 2cm dice
2 fresh pears, peeled, cored, cut into 3cm pieces
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup beef stock
2 medium-large potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
1 cup brand long grain rice
Salt and pepper
Coriander leaves garnish optional
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Heat a medium heavy-based casserole pan over high heat until hot. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil, then add the meat and cook for about 5 mins, or until browned on all sides. Add the remaining oil, then the onion, paste and cook for about 2 mins. Stir in the pear, soy sauce, and vinegar and bring to a simmer.
2. Add ¾ cup water and stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to the oven. Braise for about 1 hr 15 mins, or until the beef is almost tender.
3. Place the pan over medium-low heat. Stir in the potato. Simmer gently, uncovered, for about 25 mins, or until the potato and beef are tender and the liquid thickens slightly.
4. Meanwhile, in a small heavy-based saucepan, bring the rice, water, and salt to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer gently for about 15 mins or until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Don’t stir the rice during cooking, as this can release starches that will lead to sticking. Fluff the rice with a fork and let stand, covered, for 5 mins before serving.
5. Divide the braised beef among four plates, sprinkle with the coriander, and serve with the rice.